Even in small town Canyon, college-land is the best.
We'll go from sitting on porches, to sitting in bars, to gathering around a table or in a lobby. Everywhere I go there are people waiting to hang.
For the most part we lack family, so our obligation is to one another, or friendships become intimate, and our time together is well spent....
Assuming you find the people you connect with, college is a time where you do a lot of bonding.
Friday night marked the beginning of a beautiful new type of Bond in my college land.
One of my main-hangs is a little house nic-named whore island, (an ironic nic-name for a home to four men of faith,) and I hang out there more nights than not.
It is the home to all of my best guy friends, and I enjoy most Sunday and Monday nights playing N64 James Bond video games with them, most Tuesdays studying for a german vocabulary quiz, and most weekends sitting on the porch with a cup of joe and a cookie fresh from the oven.
I have my traditions.
I like that.
But this Friday night was different.
I arrived at whore island after leaving behind the homecoming festivities that dominated my underclassmen Octobers, to find Dallas, Gonzo and Randy sitting anxiously on the couches.
"I've got to get out of this house," one said.
"Pshhh. You're telling me," huffed another.
"Lets get lit and jump off of Jones." said the last.
It seemed to take ages to figure out what to do, but upon our return from Wal-Mart it was like Christmas morning. The boys tore at the packaging of their purchases with fervor, with bits of plastic flying in every which direction, and we all giggled as we opened our brand new airsoft guns.
The laser pointer aim mechanism might be my favorite part.
And the yelp the boys make when I shoot them in the butt might be my second favorite.
And my third favorite might be that I get to pull the "I'm a woman" card so they often don't shoot me back.
For the last two nights my friends and I have played real-life James Bond.
To "get out of the house," we've found ourselves playing scenarios in University buildings late at night. The band hall's organ rooms were particularly creepy, but the Activities center proved for a really excellent course of capture the flag.
Occasionally I'd pop out from behind a vending machine and be pointing my airsoft in the face of a surprised and completely unarmed stranger.
Other times, I'm hanging off of stair banisters showering bullets down onto the Grandmaster, or almost crapping my pants because of motion detected classroom lights.
Perhaps the most fun I had was when I was surrounded near the "communication disorders" wing of the Activities Center fighting off three grown men.
And the scariest was likely being trapped in the photography dark room at one o'clock in the morning waiting to be found and shot by my capture-the-flag foes.
College Land is awesome.
At no other time in my life will I be able to dedicate this much time to shinanigans.
At no other time will I be able to spend a whole day playing super mario brothers, watching 3rd Rock from the Sun with my friends, wrestling my neighbor for a dumdum, and shooting my best friends in dark hallways.
It might not be the most mature way to spend a weekend.
I mean, it's not a wine tasting or anything,
but it's the bomb dot com.
So, as this blog is notoriously laced with vague advice, I once again leave you with wise words:
Find the people you connect with
share your hearts with them,
and shoot them.
